2.03.2012

Cheap Thrills

Earlier this morning, a tweet was posted by ANC: "What are your cheap thrills?"

Well, since time immemorial, I have always been a true-blue kuripot. It's not that I don't enjoy the finer things in life, I just like to think I'm a tad bit practical and always thinking of the rainy days. I try not to go on impulse-buying sprees. I love sales (who doesn't?). I'm not very picky  when it comes to food, although I steer clear of consuming red meat and other indulgent goodies I used to enjoy, 20 pounds ago. I try to scour the market for the best deals on cosmetics and beauty products (hence my recommendations) and I also try to patronize locally-manufactured and organic products. Going green isn't for the elite anymore. Everyone can afford to help out Mother Nature in their own way and it won't cost you as much as you thought.

Anyway, hmm, what else... Oh yeah, I loooove visiting second-hand bookstores such as Booksale. If I'm lucky, I find great books, even hardbound ones, for a fraction of the cost! I also discovered this quaint spa in Los Banos, which offers great services for rock-bottom prices. The only downside is that it's tucked into the streets of UPLB (which you're gonna have to spend gas and toll fee for), but when you're in town, make sure to check it out, it's called V-Lounge. Their massages are to-die-for and they have great service staff. I always get a foot spa and mani-pedi combo whenever I come for a visit. Those services would cost me twice as much here in Santa Rosa. I also like downloading movies and series, or copying from friends (I know piracy is illegal but let's admit it, who doesn't own downloaded movies and videos nowadays?), although an actual movie date with friends and family is awesome also (especially if it's their treat!).

It's not a big secret that I love raiding ukay-ukay shops for one-of-a-kind finds. They're practically everywhere! Vintage clothing, more often than not, is the first option for me whenever I need new clothes for events and such but don't have quite the budget for it, so I go for new old ones instead. But don't get me wrong, I do like rewarding myself with nice things every now and then, it's just I don't see the point in splurging on trends when you can easily find similar-looking items for less. Also, why spend 700 pesos on a thin, cropped top, when you can about 8 to 10 pieces of clothing with that money in ukay stores? One reminder though, you have to be ready against dust and dirt when scouring the ukay racks.

*sigh* I could go and on about this. Perhaps we can discuss more about this in the future? But for now, how about you tell me what your ultimate cheap thrills are?

Love,
SGT <3

2 comments:

  1. Definitely thrifting, especially in bigger cities!

    And Mickey D's french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. French fries = guilty pleasure. I love thrift shopping too! My parents want me to visit Forever 21 and get a couple of things there but I'd really rather go to thrift stores. I can save up a lot of money on one shopping trip there.

    ReplyDelete