2.09.2012

Sweep and Blend

If you're a fan of makeup and makeup tutorials, you probably have heard that brushes are GREAT investments and must-haves for your kit. In my 8 years of experience with makeup, I learned this lesson the hard way. I tried using Q-tips, the sponge applicators that come with eyeshadow palettes, and even my fingers. Still, nothing beats the versatility and functionality of brushes.

Perhaps you're only beginning to discover a penchant in enhancing your (already) beautiful features, in which case, I would recommend that you start with a few basic brushes. Makeup brushes range in variety and prices. I would recommend using natural fibers over synthetic fibers. They usually last longer, are softer in texture and feel, and are gentler to your skin. Natural bristles are usually made from animal hair. There's a wide range of options available. However, if you're vegetarian or an animal rights/animal welfare advocate and refuse to patronize any product that implicates the exploitation and cruelty towards animals, vegan brushes are available as well. I warn you, though, that brushes can be pricey but again, they're going to last you for a very long time if you take care of them.

Here in the Philippines, there are far less options than there are in the United States. However, we have local retailers that provide quality brushes for reasonable prices. I get mine from department store brands, such as Fashion 21, Nichido, and E.L.F., and imported brands such as Etude House and Clinique. Beauty & Minerals carry a wide range of makeup brushes (Charm Makeup Brushes) for your convenience. I have yet to try the latter's vegan brushes (due to lack of funds, teehee!) but a lot of bloggers recommend it so that must be good. I'll write about their products as soon as I get my hands on them. ;)

In the meantime, let me introduce my small collection of brushes that I use on a regular basis. I have yet to complete mine, but these do just fine.


  • Eyeshadow / Eyeliner Brushes

Fashion 21 Angled Eyeshadow brush. (less than Php 150) Perfect for defining your crease.

Clinique Eyeshadow brush (medium). I use this for applying color on the ball of my eye/eyelid. This can also be used to blend eyeshadow.

Clinique Eyeshawdow Brush (small). For more defined lines. This is not fine enough to use as eyeliner brush. 

E.L.F. Eyeshadow brush. (Php 129.75) Can be used for applying base color or highlight as well as for defining the crease. Talk about multi-purpose.
Etude House Angled Liner brush. (less than Php 200). This is perfect for lining the lash line or for setting your eyeliner with eyeshadow (if you're into that). I love using this brush on my lower lash line. Be careful though, this brush is quite stiff. Don't tug your skin as much and handle this brush with much care during application.
Fashion 21 Eyeshadow brush. This has got to be my oldest brush. I  use this for just about anything, even for blending. However, a stiff and a soft dome brush are still ideal for blending. But if you don't have the luxury of getting a kit or separate brushes for different tasks, this will do.


  • Blush Brush
E.L.F. Blush brush. (Php 129.75) This is a pretty old one too. The name of the brush says it all. It's used to put blush on your cheeks and/or bronzer to contour (if you don't have a separate angled blush brush). There are a few unsettling things about this brush: first, the hairs fall off quite a lot, so watch out for loose strands when you apply blush; and, it doesn't pick up as much pigment so you're gonna have to do twice as much applications. It's not also ideal for blending.



  • Kabuki Brush
Nichido Kabuki brush. (Php 238). It's made of animal hair (I'm sorry) but as soon I get my hands on vegan brushes, I swear I'm never going back to using animal hair brushes. Anyway, this one's pretty flexible in use. I use it mostly for my setting powder / loose powder. Tip: Tap powder onto cap, swirl brush onto the powder, then tap brush against your wrist to release excess product. This is also ideal for mineral foundation. However, I use a sponge applicator for my foundation, so the only use I have for this brush at the moment is for setting powder. It leaves a flawless and even finish (given that you blend well). It's also very soft and its fibers don't fall out easily. Very good investment. 

I'm actually not very particular in terms of having specific brushes for one task. I prefer having multipurpose ones that I can use interchangeably. If you're not a professional makeup artist, only a few key brushes will do the job just fine. You don't have to splurge. Just look for ones that best fit your needs and lifestyle. There are more affordable alternatives you can use. After all, it's in the hands that use them. Brushes are just tools that help you achieve that superstar look you've always wanted. ;)

What are your favorite brushes?

Love,
SGT <3

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! :) Maybe we could follow each other? :) Love, Tina
    http://tinasfemmefatale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tina! I'll follow you right back! Thanks for swinging by my page and glad you like it! See you on Chictopia too :)

    ReplyDelete