7.17.2012

E.L.F. Liquid Eyeliner

Happy Tuesday, everyone! It's been a while since I last posted a review on anything. Here's one for every girl who's on a budget.

E.L.F. has been a welcomed presence in department and beauty store racks for quite a while. I've been an avid fan since I started college, as their products were not only practical and must-haves for every kikay kit, but are absolutely affordable too! That's something that I had to look for in cosmetics, because let's face it, I'm no kolehiyala with a trust fund, so I need to keep my spending on the down low, but that doesn't mean that I have to look losyang and haggard while I'm at it. Enter E.L.F.

Back then, there were only a few stores that carried this line. I usually visit their kiosk in Robinsons Galleria (department store). I'm glad to know that it's everywhere now! Not only that, E.L.F. now has an interactive social media mechanism, check out their Facebook page and Twitter accounts. They post beauty tips, makeup ideas, and new releases that you don't want to miss.

Okay, so about this eyeliner, I've always had qualms about using liquid eyeliners since I was well and happy with my gel kind from Maybelline. Plus, I didn't like how many LE's are way too messy to apply. I always thought that it took an expert hand to create the perfect wing or a nice little flick.

Let's get to it.

The product says:
  • It's a smudge-proof liquid liner
  • Has a fine tip applicator that creates easily defined and precise lines
  • Has long wear and luminous color
  • Has a safe and gentle formula
  • Instantly beautiful, healthy looking eyes designed, formulated, and tested by our professional teamof makeup artists
  • Cruelty-free (meaning it's not tested on animals)
  • E.L.F. supports charities
  • For best results, use with the E.L.F. Regular and Waterproof Mascara Duo
Directions for Use
  • Begin at the inner corner of the eye, along the lash line, and work outwards.
  • Position applicator tip close to the lash roots and in a gentle, fluid movement, brush color along the natural curve of your lash line.
Naturally, this is not the only technique you can use or the only liner style you can do with the product. Look up Youtube tutorials and articles online for helpful tips on liquid eyeliner application and different styles you can work with to amp up the creativity. Experiment with different tricks and styles to find ones that will best suit your eye shape and the occasion you will wear the look for.

What I like about it:
  • Very affordable (retails for Php 129.75 in stores, but online shops sell this for less)
  • The packaging is simple and straight-to-the-point, but it's pretty secure and doesn't spill
  • Easy application, doesn't require expertise, although practice will definitely help you make that even and perfect wing and flick. ;)
  • Doesn't clump but not too runny
  • Dries pretty fast on the lid
  • Not messy
  • Widely available
  • Pigmented, but requires a swipe more or two to get a solid line, especially with the brown kind. 
  • No traceable scent
  • Not irritating on my eyelids.
  • Cruelty-free!
  • Not glossy, not shimmery, not liquid-y when applied.
  • Comes in many colors (they also have these with glitters, not sure if we have it here in the Philippines, but as far as I've seen, they have it in Ash (gray), Black, and in Coffee.
What I dislike about it:
  • On many occasions, these are out of stock in Galleria.
  • The brown needs more than two swipes to make the color really pop. The black one does the job just fine. (or maybe I'm still used to the thick consistency and solid lines of the gel eyeliner I've been using)
  • Can't be used on the inner lash line (for tight-lining). You're gonna need a separate pencil liner for this.

I got the brown one from Robinsons Galleria and the black from Makeupholics. The latter cost Php 100, save the shipping fee.


Liquid Eyeliner in Coffee

The applicator tip is fine enough to help you create sleek lines.


Here are the swatches. For the sake of comparison, the first two on the left side were applied thrice and more, without the use of the E.L.F. Eyelid Primer (which I will review soon). The two on the right, however, was only one swipe (black) and two swipes (brown), with the eyelid primer beneath it.


If you're looking for an easy-breezy liquid eyeliner that's not too heavy on the budget but delivers well, this is your guy. I hate it when liquid eyeliner messes up my eye makeup, like when it takes a while to dry and when I accidentally open my eyes at the wrong time, it transfers onto my crease or on the upper part of the lid (blame my small eyes). This one doesn't do that. It only took me two or three applications to get the technique right and to get comfortable with the application, and after that, I'm all good. It's much quicker to swipe on and go than pencils and gel liners, in my humble opinion. Still, for dramatic eyes and for much more opaque color, I'd still go for gels.

I'd love to try the metallic ones if I can find it in stores here or if I can come across a seller that has them, or better yet, if you send one over, I'd be more than willing to oblige. :3 Hehe. ;)

Love,
SGT <3

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of liquid eyeliners because I admit, I'm not so good at applying it. :D But this one looks promising indeed. Applying this LE doesn't seem too much of a challenge because of that thin applicator tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this should be the first liquid eyeliner every beginner should try because it has very slim applicator tip, which makes it easier to use.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete