7.17.2013

Review: Maybelline Color Sensation Moisture Extreme Lip Color in Summer Sunset

Hey! How's everybody doing? I hope all is well.

Anyway, I know it's been SUCH a long time since my last entry, so here it goes. I have never been the red-lipstick-wearing kind of girl. I can only wear scarlet on my lips about once or twice every other month. Yes, that rare. I prefer nude lips to red because honestly, it scares the hell out of me. If you're like me who's easily intimidated by a fire engine red, don't fret. It can actually do you more good than harm.

If you're feeling less than stellar, a swipe of fiery color can turn around your mood and give you that much-needed boost! All fierce and ferocious ladies think so!

After collecting so much stuff over the past few months that I was dormant in this blog, I realized I had this one lipstick on the bottom of my kit. I know I've had it for a while but I haven't really worn it much. Like I said, I'm no Marilyn Monroe. I just figured I didn't have the balls to wear such a gutsy color out. I don't know why I even got this in the first place (thanks to my impulsive buying tendencies), but I'm glad I did. Also, I'm not very keen on putting lipstick on a regular basis, as I tend to just lick it all off before the day even begins. (Must get rid of bad habits!)

It's the Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lip Color in Summer Sunset. Not solidly sure where and how much I got these for, but Maybelline products are widely available in personal care stores and department stores here in the Philippines. Here's a peek at what I'm talking about:


I've had it since 2010? I should get a new tube! :(
Pretty classy packaging
I still have plenty of product in the tube. Mainly because I don't use this very often.
In lighting

A hand swatch, just to show you how it shows up on parts of my body that are more tan than my face.
Me, wearing the Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lip Color in Summer Sunset (with just groomed brows and a bare face)

The reason why I j'adore this particular product is that it's a blue-based red. My skin tone is a little tricky. I'm somewhere between light and medium. I sometimes have yellow undertones (thanks to my Chinese lineage) but when I tan, my olive undertones show. Check out MakeupGeek's blog post on red lipstick for more information on which tinge of red you should go for. But this particular color pops against my in-between skin tone so it's really a good buy for me.

Okay, so here's a breakdown of my thoughts:

What I like about it:
- It is crazy pigmented. For a drugstore brand, it really delivers that punch of red right where you need it!
- Considerably affordable. One tube won't cost more than P 500 for sure.
- I can just groom my brows and wear this with a bare face. It makes me look that much more made up than when I have a nude lip on.
- It accentuates the light side of my skin color. It somehow gives the illusion that I'm a tad bit lighter.
- It also gives the illusion of whiter teeth. That's what blue-based red lip color does.

What I don't like about it:
- I'm not really sure if it delivers the moisture extreme factor that it has on its name. I have really dry lips and I prime with lip balm before I put this on. I still end up a little dry after a while.
- Wear is average. This can go on me for about 3 hours without touch-ups.
- Just like your average red lipstick, this can fade with food and drink intake. (Duh!) But you can always retouch!

If you're a red lip newbie, don't jump in the deep end just yet, but perhaps this can help. This is my first red tinge and I must say, red lips are not for the fainthearted. I'm glad I took the leap with this product.



No comments:

Post a Comment