7.06.2012

Art Scene: Senior Year

June 23, 2012 was one for the books.

Case in point. 

One: Yabang Pinoy was gracious enough to invite me and 10 of my friends to watch the launch and screening of Senior Year, a film by Mr. Jerrold Tarog. Since it was a last-minute thing, I was only able to tag along 5 college friends. The screening was held at Cinema 6 in the SM Mall of Asia. I have always been fond of watching local indie films, not just because I'm a huge supporter of anything PH-made, but because I believe that the pool of talent we have here is just amazing. The quality of films Filipino directors make is not only comparable to what they have elsewhere, but it even surpasses the taste and all other aspects of the international films, hence the recognition we get from international film festivals.

So about Senior Year, it's basically a mish-mash of the different "student stereotypes" in high school and what they went through on their road to graduation and beyond. I'm sure people who saw the film will say one thing: it took them back to when they were in high school. 

This is the plot outline (grabbed from the Senior Year Facebook Page):

Featuring a mix of real students and professional actors, SENIOR YEAR is a glimpse into the lives of ten students at St. Frederick's Academy as they struggle through the final months before graduation. Hearts are broken and healed, friendships are formed and lost. Childish ways are thrown out in exchange for seeds of maturity in what may be the beginning of a bumpy ride towards the chaos of adulthood.

You'll definitely identify with one or two characters in the film. I guess I was more of an outsider who's friends with everyone. I just had a best friend and we were inseparable. I was friendly but I didn't really cling to any barkada structure. 

It was such a light and refreshing film that will really make you think about who you were, who you are, who you want to be, and all the changes that happened in between. It will also get you thinking about realities and meeting your idealistic and childish expectations you made when you were in school, kind of like a wake-up call. It speaks to me on so many levels, not only because I had just graduated from college, but because life after school is so much more complicated than I had imagined when I was still in the university, and the film captured that main thought. Everything seemed like a big deal then. Everything seemed certain. The truth is, we can never really know what the future holds for the valedictorian, the outsider, the campus crush, the sweetheart, or whoever it is in your batch. What or who you wanted to be when you were in high school will not necessarily be who you will be 10 years down the road. Or maybe it will. All that's certain is that everything's uncertain.

So again, thanks to Yabang Pinoy for giving me this opportunity. The film was definitely worth the trip to MOA. If you guys have the chance to catch the screening of Senior Year in schools and cinemas near you, please watch it. It will not only teach you about the value of the present, but of hoping for the best in the future as well. :)

Photo is from the Senior Year Facebook page
Of course, we wouldn't let this day pass without taking group shots:

Photos are either from me or from my friend, Joanna Leongson. Nice seeing you, Joanna! It's been years since we last saw each other! :)


Fun with friends is something I can never say no to. ;)

*Photos will be updated soon. I was able to take a few shots during the Q&A portion after the screening. :)

Love,
SGT <3


No comments:

Post a Comment