7.29.2012

E.L.F. Eyelid Primer

They say every journey begins with a single step. In the world of makeup, one of the very first steps that can make or break your whole look, is the application of primer. Well, it's not so much of a crisis, but it can really enhance the colors of your makeup and improve its staying power. If you're like me who is not a big fan of retouching (other than blotting out oilies and re-applying lipstick every now and then), any primer would be your best friend.

This particular one is meant for the eyes. I usually apply this after I've let my face primer and BB cream set. Just a few small scoops and swipes on my eyes will do. I just blend it away with my fingers. Oh, it's from Eyes Lips Face (E.L.F.)

I'm a pretty big fan of E.L.F. ever since they arrived here in the Philippines a few years back. I love that their products are so affordable yet they're not ones to disappoint.

More the powers of this primer, or any other eyelid primer, is that it helps my eye makeup stay in place for a looong time. I've never really tried any other eye primer aside from this, so I won't really have much to go on in terms of comparison. Like I said, it also makes the colors of my eye shadow pop somehow. You'll see later on. 

It's available in three four shades: Champagne, Pearl, Golden, and Sheer. The one I'm using is Sheer. Check out E.L.F. page for the comparison between the different variants. Anyway, I got mine from Makeupholics for Php 100 (a little over $2) because the stocks in department stores seem to always run dry whenever I swing by to buy a piece.

The packaging:


The applicator wand:

More of the packaging:

Anyway, according to the E.L.F. website:

Preps your eyelid for smoother, longer-lasting and crease-proof eyeshadow. The ultra sheer nude color works to increase eye colour longevity. The lightweight liquid formula quickly absorbs into the skin for comfortable wear.

Ingredients include:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Barium Sulfate , Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019)

Here are the swatches of the product. All photos are labeled accordingly for your convenience. :)


When I swiped my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Lime:

Sorry if you can't tell much difference, must be the photo quality.
In real life, it really does help my eye shadow color deliver better.

Upon application of my E.L.F. Liquid Eye Liner:
Without primer: more than 3 swipes
With primer: one swipe (black), two swipes (brown)

What I like about it:

  • Packaging has a sleek design
  • Not messy to apply
  • Glides smoothly
  • Goes on sheer, duh (I don't know about the other shades though)
  • Budget-friendly (Php 100)
  • Extends eye shadow and eye liner durability
  • Makes eye shadow colors pop
  • Doesn't make my eye makeup crease
  • Doesn't make my lids oily
  • Helps make my eye shadow and liner stay where they are
  • Doesn't irritate my lids
  • Cruelty-free
  • A small amount goes a long way
What I dislike about it:
  • Limited availability, if this one's not in stock in your nearest department store, check with online sellers like Makeupholics
  • Tends to clump, but it eventually separates when applied
  • Blending is the key!

For now, I am quite happy with this primer. It's cheap and it delivers. What more can I ever ask for? I have yet to try other brands but I wouldn't mind buying this again. If you're looking for an eye primer that simply does its job pretty well, the E.L.F. Eyelid Primer is your best bet. :)

Love,
SGT <3

No comments:

Post a Comment